Sunday, January 26, 2020

Dr Max on leashes and collars

Hi there,
Dr. Max here, your local docologist.  If you want information about me then please scroll to the bottom of the page.

I thought we needed to take a look at harnesses, collars, and leashes.  We will focus on harnesses today so let's take a look at what would be the best for your dog and what should never be used.

Please bear in mind that there is no promotion payment for these suggestions.  The information is based on my research and experience.  You may have heard that I have some behavioral issues but that just adds to my experience.

Harnesses:

A Soft Harness



Pro is that it is comfortable; the con is that it stretches.  If you use this on a big dog please be careful if the dog pulls because it will be harder for you to control the dog and this harness will stretch out in no time.  This would do well with seniors but not a vibrant one like me.





No Pull Dog Harness, Reflective Vest Harness with 2 Leash Attachments and Easy Control Handle for Small and Medium Large Dogs


Pro is that this gives super control and because of the handle, you can pick up your dog very easily.  I see many humans who cannot control their dogs and should consider this.  Con is it does not look that comfortable and might be too hot in the summer.  There is no way in hell I would wear this but I see that it can be useful.







Pet Training, Soft, Adjustable, Reflective Vest Padded/Puppy Harness

Pro is that this is a good way to get your puppy started in that this is a comfortable harness that is reflective and designed for the smaller dog as well as a puppy.  Please train your puppy early because the price is doable.  PetSmart and Petco have affordable trainers and you would be doing this in a group that is more cost-effective.  Also, this is a step-in harness and I prefer that myself.  Con is that it is still a bit much for some dogs who prefer less restraint like myself.


 

Halti Dog Harness
 

Pro is that there is very little harness so the dog does not feel constrained and it is great for summer.  The lead goes on the front to prevent your pooch from pulling.  The dog can't turn left or right.  Con and this is a big one if the dog is light like me when he stands and pulls he can spin around on his side on the sidewalk and get hurt.  Mama made me wear this for a long time and I did not appreciate it.  Lesson learned.





Front Clip, Training Running, Walking, Hiking, All-Day Wear


This is for the more outdoor dog and I will put myself in that category.

Pro is that this is very padded and comfortable.  I think I would wear this because when you are out in the woods it is important that your Mama has control. There are 2 leash attachments, 4 points of adjustment, and easy to see in the day or night.  Con is that I have not tried this yet myself but it looks pretty cool.





Tactical Service Dog Vest Harness
For the working dog, it is important that humans are aware that the dog is there to help you and not to be petted or bothered in any way,  Pro is that this is clearly a working dog vest that denotes a seriousness that is necessary.  The vest is water-resistant and pouches can be attached for supplies  Con is that it does not look that comfortable but that is probably because I am so delicate.


 



No Pull Dog Harness Basic Nylen Step In Puppy Vest for Outdoor Walking

Well, this is the one that I have and I tolerate it very well.  There are times that I don't want to wear it but then Mama promises me a chicken treat and I will do anything for that.  Pro is that this is the least amount harness you can get.  The leash attaches to the top through 2 hooks so easy to put on.  It is step-in with a plastic clip closure on top that is easy to use because you have to be fast on and off with me.  I have no tolerance for screwing around.  This is high-quality nylon and does not stretch.  Con is when I resist while walking and Mama pulls then the harness can come off.  Mama tries to remain calm but I know she is upset.  I don't run away but I might if I see a squirrel or that stupid Doberman in 5800.


Dog Life Harness, Full Body Support and Sling, Pet Rehabilitation Lift Vest for Senior, Disabled Dogs, Joint Injuries, Arthritis, Paralysis Dogs Walk

T
his is important because there comes a time when your pooch needs your help.  Pro is that this harness helps with going up and down stairs or in and out of cars.  Mama just picks me up and throws me in.  Literally throws.  There is full-body support here.
The Con is that this is needed at all.



There are many more harnesses but you get the drift.  Please do your research and don't just assume that your dog is a good fit with any old harness.  You are better than that and so is your dog.

Stay tuned for leashes and collars.

Vote Blue in November if you love your dog.

Dr Max, dogcologist


Animal Alliance of NYC
http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/initiatives/crisis/index.htm

Humane Society
https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/SPageS  

ASPCA
https://secure.aspca.org/donate/ps-gn-p2?ms

About Me:  
Profile:  Dr. Max is a 12-year-old Shih Tzu living in Riverdale, NYC.  He lives with his Mama Ita Dowler.

Qualifications:

Ph.Do., PUNY (Pooch University of NY)
MA in Psychology, Mutger's University, NJ
BS, Poundstone College, NJ.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment